Challenges to Common Sense
1. “You can be anything you want to be.” I think genes might beg to differ.
2. “All you need is love.” Unfortunately, love doesn’t buy bread. (Love is somewhere down the line.)
3. “Practice random acts of kindness.” Better: consistent acts of mindful kindness.
4. “Follow your dreams.” Or you could think long and hard about whether your dreams are worth following.
5. “That’s just his nature.” Is that all we have to do to get him off the hook?
6. “The key to life is working hard.” And here I thought there might be more involved: like reason, talent, and luck.
7. “The goal of education is to make our children feel better about themselves.” The goal of education should be to make our children think more about themselves.